ZFIN ID: ZDB-FIG-130912-19
Devakanmalai et al., 2013 - Cited3 activates Mef2c to control muscle cell differentiation and survival. Biology Open   2(5):505-514 Full text @ Biol. Open
ADDITIONAL FIGURES
EXPRESSION / LABELING:
Genes:
Fish:
Conditions:
Knockdown Reagent:
Anatomical Terms:
Stage Range: Bud to Prim-5

Fig. 1 Expression of cited3 during segmentation stage.

(A) cited3 is expressed in the polster (black arrow) and in the notochord (red arrow) and chordo-neural hinge (green arrowhead) at 10 hpf. (B) At 13 hpf, cited3 is expressed in the adaxial cells (slow muscle precursor; black arrowhead) on either side of the notochord. (C) Expression of cited3 becomes abundant in the slow muscle precursors at 14 hpf. (D) cited3 is also expressed in the differentiated slow muscle cells as indicated by black arrowhead and in the hatching gland as indicated by black arrow and neural crest cells (red arrowhead) at 24 hpf. (E–H) cited3 is expressed in the differentiating slow muscle cells. (E) Cross section of 24 hpf embryo depicting Hoechst staining in the nucleus; (F) cited3 expression in the slow muscle domain; (G) myod expression in the slow and fast muscle domain; (H) merge of cited3 and myod expression in the slow muscle domain (indicated by a white arrowhead). (I–K) cited3 is expressed in the heart precursors. (I) cited3 is expressed in the heart precursors both in the atrium and ventricle (J) cmlc2 expression in the heart precursors (K) merge (ventral view of embryos). (L–S) Expression of cited3 is regulated by the Hedgehog signaling (L,N) Expression of myoD, cited3 was not perturbed in ethanol treated control embryos, (M,O) but expression of myod and cited3 is lost in the adaxial cells in cyclopamine treated (from 5–15hpf) embryos (indicated by arrowhead) whereas myod expression is still retained in the fast muscle (M) and cited3 expression in the chordo-neural-hinge (arrow) (O). In comparison to control ethanol treatment, cyclopamine treatment from 13 to 18 hpf blocked transcription of myod in all adaxial cells (P,Q), but that of cited3 only in adaxial cells located in the presomitic mesoderm (R,S). (T–W) Myod and Myf5 redundantly regulate the expression of cited3. (U) Expression of cited3 was not perturbed in the embryos that were injected with myoD MO compared to those injected with the control MO (T) at 17 hpf. Similarly, expression of cited3 was not affected in 75% of the embryos that were obtained from mating of heterozygous myf5hu202 mutant fishes and injected with the myod MO (22/28) (V,V′). However, expression of cited3 was reduced or lost in the remaining 25% of the embryos from the same clutch injected with myod MO (6/28) (W,W′), while the remaining expression of cited3 is in the neural crest cells. Scale bars: 100μm in D,L,P,T, and 50μm in V′.

Gene Expression Details
Gene Antibody Fish Conditions Stage Qualifier Anatomy Assay
cited4b WT control 5-9 somites to 10-13 somites adaxial cell ISH
WT standard conditions Bud notochord ISH
Bud polster ISH
Bud tail bud ISH
5-9 somites adaxial cell ISH
10-13 somites slow muscle cell ISH
Prim-5 brain ISH
Prim-5 hatching gland ISH
Prim-5 neural crest cell ISH
Prim-5 pharyngeal arch 3-7 ISH
Prim-5 presumptive atrium heart tube ISH
Prim-5 presumptive cardiac ventricle heart tube ISH
Prim-5 slow muscle cell ISH
WT chemical treatment: Cyclopamine 10-13 somites to 14-19 somites Not Detected adaxial cell ISH
10-13 somites to 14-19 somites chordo neural hinge ISH
14-19 somites to 20-25 somites Not Detected somite adaxial cell ISH
WT chemical treatment: ethanol 10-13 somites to 14-19 somites adaxial cell ISH
14-19 somites to 20-25 somites adaxial cell ISH
WT + MO1-myod1 standard conditions 5-9 somites to 10-13 somites adaxial cell ISH
myf5hu2022/+ + MO1-myod1 standard conditions 5-9 somites to 10-13 somites adaxial cell ISH
myf5hu2022/hu2022 + MO1-myod1 standard conditions 5-9 somites to 10-13 somites adaxial cell ISH
myl7 WT standard conditions Prim-5 presumptive atrium heart tube ISH
Prim-5 presumptive cardiac ventricle heart tube ISH
myod1 WT standard conditions Prim-5 fast muscle cell ISH
Prim-5 slow muscle cell ISH
WT chemical treatment: Cyclopamine 10-13 somites to 14-19 somites Not Detected adaxial cell ISH
10-13 somites to 14-19 somites fast muscle cell ISH
14-19 somites to 20-25 somites Not Detected adaxial cell ISH
WT chemical treatment: ethanol 10-13 somites to 14-19 somites fast muscle cell ISH
10-13 somites to 14-19 somites slow muscle cell ISH
14-19 somites to 20-25 somites fast muscle cell ISH
14-19 somites to 20-25 somites slow muscle cell ISH
Antibody Labeling Details No data available
Phenotype Details No data available
Acknowledgments:
This image is the copyrighted work of the attributed author or publisher, and ZFIN has permission only to display this image to its users. Additional permissions should be obtained from the applicable author or publisher of the image. Full text @ Biol. Open