LIN28B regulates transcription and potentiates MYCN-induced neuroblastoma through binding to ZNF143 at target gene promotors
- Tao, T., Shi, H., Mariani, L., Abraham, B.J., Durbin, A.D., Zimmerman, M.W., Powers, J.T., Missios, P., Ross, K.N., Perez-Atayde, A.R., Bulyk, M.L., Young, R.A., Daley, G.Q., Look, A.T.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 117(28): 16516-16526 (Journal)
- Registered Authors
- Durbin, Adam, Look, A. Thomas, Shi, Hui, Tao, Ting, Zimmerman, Mark
- LIN28B, ZNF143, neuroblastoma, transcriptional regulation, zebrafish model
- MeSH Terms
- Animals, Genetically Modified
- Cell Movement
- Gene Expression Regulation, Neoplastic
- N-Myc Proto-Oncogene Protein/genetics
- N-Myc Proto-Oncogene Protein/metabolism*
- Protein Binding
- RNA-Binding Proteins/genetics
- RNA-Binding Proteins/metabolism*
- 32601179 Full text @ Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA
Tao, T., Shi, H., Mariani, L., Abraham, B.J., Durbin, A.D., Zimmerman, M.W., Powers, J.T., Missios, P., Ross, K.N., Perez-Atayde, A.R., Bulyk, M.L., Young, R.A., Daley, G.Q., Look, A.T. (2020) LIN28B regulates transcription and potentiates MYCN-induced neuroblastoma through binding to ZNF143 at target gene promotors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 117(28):16516-16526.
LIN28B is highly expressed in neuroblastoma and promotes tumorigenesis, at least, in part, through inhibition of let-7 microRNA biogenesis. Here, we report that overexpression of either wild-type (WT) LIN28B or a LIN28B mutant that is unable to inhibit let-7 processing increases the penetrance of MYCN-induced neuroblastoma, potentiates the invasion and migration of transformed sympathetic neuroblasts, and drives distant metastases in vivo. Genome-wide chromatin immunoprecipitation coupled with massively parallel DNA sequencing (ChIP-seq) and coimmunoprecipitation experiments show that LIN28B binds active gene promoters in neuroblastoma cells through protein-protein interaction with the sequence-specific zinc-finger transcription factor ZNF143 and activates the expression of downstream targets, including transcription factors forming the adrenergic core regulatory circuitry that controls the malignant cell state in neuroblastoma as well as GSK3B and L1CAM that are involved in neuronal cell adhesion and migration. These findings reveal an unexpected let-7-independent function of LIN28B in transcriptional regulation during neuroblastoma pathogenesis.
Genes / Markers
Mutation and Transgenics
Human Disease / Model Data
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes
Errata and Notes