Imaging blood vessels and lymphatic vessels in the zebrafish
- Jung, H.M., Isogai, S., Kamei, M., Castranova, D., Gore, A.V., Weinstein, B.M.
- Methods in cell biology 133: 69-103 (Chapter)
- Registered Authors
- Castranova, Dan, Gore, Aniket, Isogai, Sumio, Jung, Hyun Min, Kamei, Makoto, Weinstein, Brant M.
- Blood, Endothelial, Imaging, Lymphatic, Microangiography, Microscopy, Morphogenesis, Transgenic, Vessel, Zebrafish
- MeSH Terms
- Blood Vessels/cytology*
- Embryo, Nonmammalian/cytology*
- Gene Expression
- Lymphatic Vessels/cytology*
- Models, Animal
- Optical Imaging
- Zebrafish/growth & development*
- 27263409 Full text @ Meth. Cell. Biol.
Jung, H.M., Isogai, S., Kamei, M., Castranova, D., Gore, A.V., Weinstein, B.M. (2016) Imaging blood vessels and lymphatic vessels in the zebrafish. Methods in cell biology. 133:69-103.
Blood vessels supply tissues and organs with oxygen, nutrients, cellular, and humoral factors, while lymphatic vessels regulate tissue fluid homeostasis, immune trafficking, and dietary fat absorption. Understanding the mechanisms of vascular morphogenesis has become a subject of intense clinical interest because of the close association of both types of vessels with pathogenesis of a broad spectrum of human diseases. The zebrafish provides a powerful animal model to study vascular morphogenesis because of their small, accessible, and transparent embryos. These unique features of zebrafish embryos permit sophisticated high-resolution live imaging of even deeply localized vessels during embryonic development and even in adult tissues. In this chapter, we summarize various methods for blood and lymphatic vessel imaging in zebrafish, including nonvital resin injection-based or dye injection-based vessel visualization, and alkaline phosphatase staining. We also provide protocols for vital imaging of vessels using microangiography or transgenic fluorescent reporter zebrafish lines.
Genes / Markers
Mutation and Transgenics
Human Disease / Model Data
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes
Errata and Notes