Aquaculture and husbandry at the zebrafish international resource center
- Varga, Z.M.
- Methods in cell biology 104: 453-478 (Chapter)
- Registered Authors
- Varga, Zoltan M.
- aquaculture, aquaria, artemia, biosafety, biosecurity, breeding, cryopreservation, food, husbandry, nursery, paramecia, tank, water quality
- MeSH Terms
- Animal Husbandry/instrumentation
- Animal Husbandry/methods*
- Biological Specimen Banks/organization & administration
- Fish Diseases/prevention & control
- Zebrafish/growth & development*
- 21924177 Full text @ Meth. Cell. Biol.
Varga, Z.M. (2011) Aquaculture and husbandry at the zebrafish international resource center. Methods in cell biology. 104:453-478.
This chapter provides an overview of the aquaculture system and the husbandry methods used at the Zebrafish International Resource Center (ZIRC). ZIRC employs a recirculating water system with mechanical and biological filtration for its main facility, and a flow-through water system for its quarantine room. I describe basic husbandry methods for breeding, rearing larvae, and feeding and the extensive in-house health surveillance for the biosafety of the fish population. Whereas the description of these procedures is merely an overview and only the most essential methods are included, it offers several starting points to set up, refine, or troubleshoot other fish facilities.
Genes / Markers
Mutation and Transgenics
Human Disease / Model Data
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes
Errata and Notes